Thursday 24 May 2012

Branding - Names

Name is one of the most important aspects when it comes to branding yourself. theres no real set criteria when it comes to coming up with name and various companies take influence from a variety of things including family name / Gods and Goddesses / Animals or just putting 2 words together such as Strawdog. It dose not have to have logic behind it. Im wanting to brand myself as a designer who focuses on the casual gaming market, focusing on family and children's games. So when it comes to naming Im wanting something that is catchy and has a kind of friendly charm. something like Dead Rabbits wouldn't really be appropriate and not a good start to potential clients, or even potential customers if they saw the logo and name dead on a game that was aimed towards children they may not think it is appropriate therefore could lead to loss in sales.

I struggled coming up with a name to use, so was just throwing together Random words such as Lawnmower Lemondrop and Freezing Penguin. Just as a side note I use the name Divinity Within for my email address and blogger domain. But it would be inappropriate for me to call myself by that name as I use that name for a lot of internet forums and don't want to mix my social life with my work. So I then started to think of ways to incorporate my name into the branding name. A few suggestions I came up with were things like TNT Explosion Designs, but as soon as I wrote that down reminded me too much of TNA wrestling, hence why I moved away from that. I then came up with Newt and Atom. Sounded really catchy and was going to go with it, until Chris mentioned Newtomic Designs which I really liked as it incorporated both of my names and filled the criteria I was aiming for. All I have to do is to just clarify there is a domain name that is available for the website. I have thought of potential directions to take the logo, such as a crazy cartoon like bomb which could look nice and appeal to my target market

No comments:

Post a Comment