Wednesday 5 October 2011

Camera Views

Was just looking around at some 2D games from my research and the quick sketches I have designed it got me thinking about the the camera views, especially the way in how they follow you through the level and how close or far away to set them, or could you combine them depending on the aspect of the level, because I was thinking about one of my designs, which starts of as quite an open environment but then goes to an enclosed maze, I was thinking that for the outside element I want a long shot as I want the players to be be able to see plenty of the environment and I want the effect of everything overshadowing you and emphasis how big the environment, I want to create tension and that feeling like your lost. However when it got to the Maze aspect of the level I want the completely opposite effect, I want you to be enclosed and the feeling of claustrophobia, also if I showed you too much you'd be able to see too much of the maze making it alot easier to know where your heading, so towards my game i'm thinking of a contrast between 2 would work well, anyway I thought it would be a good idea to do some research on other 2D titles and the way they have set up there camera views.

I started my research by looking at the New Super Mario Bros, what I noticed was how far away the camera was, and how small Mario looked compared to the environment, it works well in the way as your playing you can see allot in the one shot, of any enemies that are preparing to attack or closing in on you, or where to make your next move. It also really emphasizes how big the world is. Also what I noticed was the way the camera followed Mario as you moved forward and also allows plenty of space for any upcoming enemies which are not quite in the shot yet, so allows you time to prepare and attack when they come into shot, which is a very good method to use. A similar method is also used for if your jumping upwards which is demonstrated around the 5 minute mark in the video. It only happens though if there's part of the levels which are above the camera view, which is something I need to consider when thinking about my gaming environment, do I want some parts of the levels above or below the camera. Also whats worth mentioning is the when Mario goes down the tube shaped things, the way it does a quick cut screen and goes to a completely different camera. I'm thinking of having a similar interaction within my game where you go down a hidden chamber to a maze, however I was thinking of having the camera follow you down instead of going to a cut screen, but its a different concept which I haven't thought of which could work just as effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment