Wednesday 28 September 2011

Mayan Calender

One of the most interesting and controversial artifacts linking to the Mayan period was the Mayan calender, which is a very complex system and one which I find hard to understand and don't want to get into it to much, of cause everyone is aware that the legend says the Mayan Calender ends in 2012 and people say they have predicted every natural disaster to date, I am led to believe. Although that is interesting what really appeals to me is the shape and patterns on the calender itself, here's a few examples below.



As you can see from the above examples, there's some really beautiful patterns and imagery especially the centerpiece face and two crocodile like creatures to the side, I have thought of ideas of how to use a similar style as markings on walls / background on the game level, or even to to include the calender as some kind of feature on the game level. I have even thought of potentially coming up with my own designs similar to that on the Mayan calender of mystical creatures or something of a similar vein in which to to use on my game environment.

Here is also an interesting feature in which you cant see well on the above images, but here is a breakdown of the calender which features I believe the 19 months which are included on the calender, with some beautiful markings which could potentially look studding on the level, its definatly an idea in which I can develop.


A quick idea which I thought I'd document about is that similar to levels on Bowsers Castle from the Mario franchise, is there's these kind of stone like squares which fall on your head, well i was thinking of having something similar on my environment but featuring some of the mayan influenced pattens on, which could be a nice touch to include.

No comments:

Post a Comment