Wednesday 28 September 2011

Apocalypto

Haven't surprisingly not seen the film Apocalypto, as it seems like my kind of film I was suggested to watch the film as it was based on the Mayan period, ok its not game research but it could potentially give me ideas on game props for example and help me with my environmental design and hopefully  improve my knowledge on the Mayans. Here is a trailer of the film and shall write a short review once I have watched the film.



Having watched the film, I quite enjoyed the film. It was a great source of research and gained both ideas in which to develop into my game. Not only that I enjoyed gaining a better understanding of the Mayan culture and one which fascinates me. The film portrayed the Mayans as very violent but at the same time very religious as they worship the god of sun. And as demonstrated by the film they believe sacrificing people by pulling there heart out then decapitating them and throwing the body down the pyramid shaped temple, will please the gods. They also seem to suggest vulnerabilities during the darkness as demonstrated when the eclipse happened in the film. This has given me ideas for example sun statues, and maybe the enemies are afraid to go into the dark places, giving you a slight potential. I also found interesting some of the Bobbie traps they used to catch food which is demonstrated at the start of the movie when there trying to catch the warthog. I could use a similar device as challenges to overcome during the game. I also really liked the mayan architecture, especially the patterns and the way some are designed to be quite intimidating a resemble a face. I think this would be a great idea for the game. Finally I really liked some of the mayan masks which can be seen during the sacrifices, they would be perfect for baddies in the game or even a boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment